Bathrooms are highly-used workspaces. They provide functional design and performance. When it comes to bathroom renovations, be aware of: function, design impact, plumbing, surfaces and lighting. Listed below are helpful suggestions to plan a successful bathroom renovation.
Like kitchens, bathrooms must be functional. Bathrooms are a workstation that prepare for the day or an escape from a stressful day. Be clever and consider what functions a bathroom could need. There are many ideas to incorporate besides a basic toilet, tub and sink.
- Bending and reaching for items can be bothersome
- Plan around convenience
- Daily used items should be easiest to find and reach for
- Have additional storage for linens and other items
- A shared bathroom should have two sinks, evenly spaced
- Incorporate a hand bar beside the toilet and bathtub
- Consider having a seat in the shower
- Hang a magazine or book rack
- Install a steam room
Design Impact and Inspiration
Make a design impact that evokes a feeling. There are two directions a bathroom can take: formal and casual. After deciding which one works best for the bathroom, here are some design tips:
- Use similar motifs through-out the bathroom
- Water and ocean motifs are too common placed; think outside the box!
- Get inspired by cultural influences, art periods or colour
- Incorporate pillows, towels, curtains, baskets or wooden chairs
- it softens the look of metals and porcelain
- Add plants to visualize the senses
- Incorporate scented candles
Plumbing and Surface Research
Plumbing impacts the positioning of sinks, showers and tubs. It is important to seek a contractor to gain knowledge about how this will affect design plans. It is important to install high quality plumbing fixtures. They offer lifelong performance and a dramatic design effect.
- Choose lifelong warranty brands
- Research the various fixture finishes and styles
- Get interested in flow rates, outlets, temperature controls and CSA Standards
- Research how to clean brass, stainless steel and other metals
- Learn about the best surfaces for the floor, counters and bath
- Know the drawbacks of assorted materials
- For example: Veins in marble indicate weak points and shiny floors are not always slip-resistant
Caution with Lighting
Lighting is a powerful function that can either make or break a bathroom.
- Bathrooms are prone to mirrors; don’t forget this when choosing lighting
- Consider appropriate lighting for the sink and shower
- Fluorescent lighting casts a bluish light while incandescent bulbs cast a yellowish light
- Do not pair these two together!
- Pay attention to wall décor; make sure it works with the desired lighting
Bathrooms are wonderful places to get creative when it comes to renovating. Do the research and have a strong design plan to make the most out of your renovation. Contact D3 Design for additional tips, ideas or to begin the renovation!