From 1912 to 1993, this dual commercial/residential property had been the longest running neighborhood grocery store in Glenbrooke North, New Westminster. After years of only being used as a residential accomodation, it was time for the building to return to its original exterior aspect, including a glazed storefront with a corner entrance and a second story apartment above. By using evidence on the building itself and where necessary, archival images of similar Edwardian vernacular commercial style buildings, we were able to reinstate this historic heritage property.
Second Street Infill House
Inspired by the Craftsman Bungalow, a popular architectural style in the Lower Mainland from 1910-1930, this infill house integrates seamlessly with the historic corner store on the property and with the eclectic mix of surrounding residences. Variations of the Craftsman Bungalow design have continued to appear over the decades in contemporary residential construction. This offers a sense of continuity and familiarity in our neighbourhood streetscapes with well-loved elements such as the inviting full-width front porch and its cottage-like proportions.